I am just about to add a section to the web site called recipes. Not for whole meals just yet, but for simple home cooked treats. There are lots of reasons to love home cooked treats. You know the ingredients, it is cost effective and, also, most home cooked treats can be frozen so you can grab a bag and go.
So first up in this new section, it has to be a firm favourite – liver cake!
- 1lb (450g) lamb or ox liver
- 1lb (450g) self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- Milk or water
- Crack the eggs into a glass, it makes the next step easier
- Add an equal volume of milk or water to the glass of eggs. Pop into a bowl & whisk
- Blend the liver in a food processor
- Add the egg mixture and flour. Blend to a sponge mixture consistency
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper, grease the sides with some fat
- Empty contents into the greased baking tray. Bake at 180C (or 350F) for 35 – 45 minutes
- Allow to cool then divide into pieces
- Put into portion sizes in sandwich bags and freeze
Lots of recipes can be found online for treats, this one is courtesy of Hearing Dogs. https://www.hearingdogs.org.uk
I recommend that liver cake should only be used as a high-value reward. Treats like this should be factored in as part of your dog’s daily food allowance so other meals should be reduced accordingly. It is also recommended that liver cake should only be given to dogs and puppies over the age of six-months old.
#livercake #dogtreats #hearingdogs