I came across the most magnificent Oak Tree on my dog walk yesterday. And it just reminded me how lucky I am to have a dog that doesn’t eat his way around a walk.
Oak trees are one of my favourites. They like all trees, are great for the planet, but not so great for our dogs though. The foliage and acorns will affect the kidneys if ingested. And, symptoms won’t appear for several days so can be a hard one for your vet to diagnose.
Dogs aren’t known to find acorns tasty but, all the same, best to keep a keen eye on your dog as you walk past them.
Another autumn hazard are conkers. Never my favourite game at school and also on the dangerous list. They can cause blockages if swallowed whole and Conkers contain a chemical called aesculin, which can be toxic to dogs if eaten.
There are hazards at all times of the year so nothing changes for me, I love autumn, it is my favourite season for walking and the mighty oak will always be the tree I stop to hug.